Skip to main content

Controversy as Joshua retains world heavyweight titles


Britain’s Anthony Joshua (L) throws a punch at Cameroon-born Carlos Takam during their world Heavyweight title fight at The Principality Stadium in Cardiff on October 28, 2017. ADRIAN DENNIS / AFP

Anthony Joshua maintained his 100 per cent knockout ratio by stopping a bloodied Carlos Takam in the tenth round on Saturday.


The English boxer retained his International Boxing Federation and World Boxing Association world heavyweight titles with a devastating display of his punching power to finish Cameroon’s France-based challenger at the Principality Stadium.



Takam became Joshua’s 20th consecutive knockout victim in a fourth defence of his IBF belt and first of his WBA title, but the challenger stubbornly resisted the champion after being cut by the right eye in the fourth round.

“It was a good fight until the ref stopped it. I have the upmost respect for Takam,” said Joshua, who injured his nose from a headbutt in the second round.

“Imagine if it’s broke and I couldn’t breath and he started catching up in the middle rounds? It would have been a disaster, so I kept my cool. You have to control these situations because, if I showed any signs of weakness, the ref could have jumped in.”



Takam was also given a count in the fourth round before being finished off by a barrage of unanswered punches which prompted the referee Phil Edwards to stop it.

Takam complained it was a premature stoppage, which was jeered by Joshua’s fans, and the challenger was given warm applause afterwards.

“I don’t think they should have stopped it,” said Takam.

“I want the rematch if Anthony gives me it.”

Takam, 36, had only accepted his first world title shot at less than two weeks’ notice and fought for most of the fight with a gruesome cut which obscured his vision.

For Takam, it was a fourth career defeat after a points loss to Parker last year and knockout loss to Russia’s Alexander Povetkin in 2014.

Takam, who boxed for Cameroon at the 2004 Olympics before relocating to Paris a year later, was drafted in as a late replacement opponent at 12 days’ notice after Bulgaria’s Kubrat Pulev injured a shoulder.

Joshua made an especially cautious start, not landing any power punches in the opening round, as he took time to assess Takam, who fought out of a crouch and burst forward with punches.

Joshua landed a good left-right combination in the second round, but did not have as much success in the third.

In the fourth, Takam suffered a nasty cut by the right eye from a big right from Joshua which caused him problems instantly with his vision due to the blood.

Shook by a right

When the fight continued, Takam was caught by a left that sent him spinning and was given a count as his glove was ruled to have touched down.

Takam bravely fought back in the fifth but Joshua teed off on him in the sixth, landing heavy, unanswered blows.

Takam had some of his best moments of the fight in the seventh round as he repeatedly caught Joshua.

Joshua tried to regain momentum in the eighth with two left hands that shook Takam, who was inspected by the ringside doctor at the start of the ninth round.



Takam was allowed to fight on but in the tenth he was shook by a right to the head and as Joshua unloaded more punches that landed flush, referee Phil Edwards stopped the fight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Predict and win BIG

Predict the scoreline at the end of 90minutes to win  big Recharge card. Plz note that entry ends at exactly 4:10pm. All Predictions should be in the comment box with your contact number or email address. No multiple prediction. Thanks and good luck

STOP KILLING US: Alumnus Cries out to UNILORIN.

When I was in 300L, UNILORIN, my hostel got robbed. The assailants hacked a girl with a cutlass on her cheek bone, very close to her eye. She was cooking when the attack happened & had a short skirt and tank top on. It was her distress call that brought me out. I took her to the school clinic. We got to the gate and we got delayed by the guards. They kept on asking for ID Card. I had my purse & my card was in it. But the girl was bleeding out, barely holding in place. I had to BEG for them to let us in. It was a mess. We got to the clinic & instead of them giving DY first Aid, they started asking us why she wasn't with her ID Card. Why she was not properly dressed. DY was bleeding out. I tried calling LukmanShobowale who was the SU President then but he was unreachable. I called BodeWrites & he told me Eminent wasn't around. I wanted to call other SU excos but at that point it would be stupid. DY was still bleeding and she was getting light headed. Ther...

Weeks after her death alongside a lover, housewife’s 2nd boyfriend dies mysteriously .

A 35-year-old Disc Jockey (DJ), identified as Femi, has died after initially escaping death a few weeks ago, for allegedly sleeping with a housewife, Mrs. Promise Clement, NewTelegraph reports. . . A few weeks ago, Promise died alongside another man, Lukmon Olowo, believed to be her lover, inside a Toyota Corrola car behind the headquarters of the Area G Police Command, Ogba, Lagos State. . . They were both partially naked. It was reported that Lukmon and Promise died in the car after making love. Many, including Promise’s husband, knew that Femi, a married man with kids, was having an affair with his wife. . . When Lukmon died, members of the community where Promise and Lukmon resided, claimed that Promise’s husband said that the death was not meant for Lukmon. The husband reportedly said that Femi was the target. . . Although Femi escaped death then, it was not for long. Femi, a father of three, went to an RCCG event at Bintu Street, two weeks ago for a service. He was sa...